Friday, January 7, 2011

BS in Mining Engineering

I started at UW Madison in the fall of 1975, and while no degree gets officially declared for a couple of semesters, I knew that I wanted to focus on Engineering in general, and Mining Engineering specifically. My interest in the natural sciences coupled with my love of math made it a logical choice.

I also started UW with two semesters of Calculus already finished (I took those classes while in High School at Lawrence University - affectionately known as Larry U - as I had completed all the math my High School offered) which pushed me about a semester ahead of most other students.

The first year covered basics that every engineer needs to know - Calc 223 (the last semester of calculus) two physics, two chemistries, Statics, Dynamics, and so on.

At that time UW gave a lot of responsibility to individual students. They may still, but there was no in loco parentis going on. It was a good time to be in school.

1 comment: